Feeding South Florida® to Benefit from Walmart’s “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” Campaign
Through online acts of support, purchases of participating products and donations at the register, the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign aims to help Feeding America secure 100 million meals on behalf of member food banks
Pembroke Park (April 17, 2017) – This week, Walmart launched its “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign, a nationwide initiative calling on the public to take action in the fight against hunger. The Feeding America nationwide network of 200 food banks, of which Feeding South Florida is a member, stands to benefit from the campaign goal to secure at least 100 million meals for Feeding America food banks across the country.
“We appreciate Walmart’s ongoing commitment to fighting hunger and are thrilled that Walmart is asking the public to get involved and make a difference in their local communities through the ‘Fight Hunger. Spark Change.’ campaign,” said Paco Vélez, President & CEO of the Feeding South Florida. “This campaign will significantly boost our collective ability to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America, allowing us to secure more local funds and ultimately provide food to more people in need throughout Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. We hope people will take action in South Florida and participate in the campaign.”
Working with customers, Discover and five of its national suppliers – Campbell Soup Company, General Mills, Kellogg Company, the Kraft Heinz Company and PepsiCo – Walmart is offering three easy ways for everyone to take action against hunger and help families in their own communities through social, online and in-store participation.
- Purchase: For every participating product purchased at U.S. Walmart stores from April 17 – May 15, 2017, the supplier will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) on behalf of a Feeding America member food bank, up to applicable limits. For every Discover card transaction made at Walmart and Walmart.com during the campaign period, Discover will donate the equivalent of one meal ($0.09) to Feeding America and its network of member food banks, up to $1 million. See Walmart.com/fighthunger for further details.
- Online Acts of Support: Generate meals for Feeding America food banks by engaging with the Fight Hunger. Spark Change. campaign on social media:
- Facebook – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or react positively to campaign content; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
- Instagram – Create or share content using the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; like or share Walmart generated campaign content.
- Snapchat – Use Walmart provided “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” filters.
- Twitter – Create original content that uses #FightHunger; like, share and/or make a campaign tweet a favorite; retweet a message featuring the campaign hashtag #FightHunger; click on Walmart provided campaign content.
For each online act of support, Walmart will help secure 10 meals (an equivalent of $0.90) for Feeding America on behalf of member food banks, up to $1.5 million.
- Donate at the Register: Donate to a Feeding America member food bank at the register during checkout.
With the USDA reporting that one in eight people in America struggle with hunger, the “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign comes at a critical time. Here in South Florida, 784,110 people may not know where they will find their next meal – 264,280 of whom are children and 130,000 are older adults.
“This campaign is an important part of our ongoing commitment to helping families who struggle with hunger,” said Kathleen McLaughlin, president of the Walmart Foundation and chief sustainability officer for Walmart. “Together with suppliers, customers and friends at Feeding America, we’re dedicated to making a positive difference in the lives of those who live and work in the communities we serve.”
This is Walmart’s 11th year working with Feeding America nationally to fight hunger and the 4th annual “Fight Hunger. Spark Change.” campaign. Last year, Feeding South Florida benefited from $43,912 dollars from Walmart’s campaign to fight hunger – that’s 263,473 meals for our families in need of food assistance.
To learn more about the campaign, visit www.walmart.com/fighthunger.
About Feeding South Florida®
Feeding South Florida® is a member of the Feeding America® network of food banks and the leading domestic hunger-relief organization serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties. Our mission is to end hunger in South Florida by providing immediate access to nutritious food, leading hunger and poverty advocacy efforts, and transforming lives through innovative programming and education. Feeding South Florida rescues 44 million pounds of food annually, serving 784,110 individuals in need of food assistance – 264,280 of whom are children and 130,000 are older adults. Feeding South Florida is the largest and most efficient food bank in each county it serves, providing for 25% of the state’s food insecure population, through a local network of more than 400 nonprofit partner agencies and direct service programs. For more information, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org or call 954.518.1818.
About Feeding America
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 46 million people through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.