Feeding South Florida® Invites Area Residents to “Set the Holiday Table” Through Dec. 17 Sort-A-Thon, Fundraising, Holiday Cards and More
Efforts to Help 784,110 South Floridians Facing Food Insecurity Set Their Tables for the Holidays and Throughout the Year
Pembroke Park, Fla. — Dec. 02, 2016 — Feeding South Florida®, the leading domestic hunger-relief organization in the South Florida region, is encouraging South Florida residents to give the gift of food this holiday season. Through its Dec. 17 “Set the Holiday Table Sort-A-Thon,” “Set the Holiday Table” fundraising campaign, holiday cards, food drives and more, Feeding South Florida is offering many ways for residents to give this holiday season. Although Feeding South Florida serves 784,110 South Florida residents facing food insecurity year-round, it is asked to do more throughout the holidays, and therefore needs increased community support.
Feeding South Florida has a 98 percent efficiency rating. It is able to provide six meals, or $12 worth of grocery products, for every $1 donated. This is because it only costs the organization about 14 cents to move a pound of food, with more than 98 percent of all donations put back into the community.
“Throughout the holiday season, we serve thousands of children, families and older adults who don’t know what the week will hold,” said Feeding South Florida President and CEO Paco Vélez. “although we serve 784,110 individuals year-round, we’re asked to do more throughout the holidays, and we therefore need increased support.”? With the help of local residents, many families can focus on what’s important this holiday season: family and securing a brighter future.”
Set the Holiday Table Sort-A-Thon: This event will take place Saturday, Dec. 17 at Feeding South Florida’s Main Warehouse, located at 2501 SW 32 Terrace, Pembroke Park, FL 33023. Participants will enjoy comradery, fun and sorting thousands of pounds of food for those struggling to set the table this holiday season. Shifts are from 8–10:30 a.m., 11 a.m.–2:30 p.m., and 3–5:30 p.m. (kids’ shift). Up to 100 volunteers can work each shift. To register, please visit feedingsouthflorida.force.com prior to Dec. 17, 2016.
Set the Holiday Table Fundraising Campaign
There are many fun and creative ways to help Feeding South Florida set the table for individuals facing food insecurity. Fundraising ideas for individuals include:
- Host a “Set the Holiday Table” Fund Drive: Create and customize a personal fundraising page at firstgiving.com/FEEDINGSOUTHFLORIDA/settheholidaytable, which can accept online donations, send “thank you” emails, share progress, and invite friends to “Set the Table” this holiday season. Anyone, whether as a team or individual, can host a fund drive.
- Set a place at the table: Host a holiday dinner and set an extra place on the table. This is a place for the person who won’t be eating because of food insecurity. Encourage guests to donate and help set the table for families in need.
- Bake Sale: Host a holiday-themed bake sale and make sure to remind folks that $1 provides six meals!
- Social Media: Post about efforts on social media and pledge to donate for every like or repost/retweet accomplished. Use #FSFSetTheHolidayTable.
- Download our “Set the Table” Toolkit here, for ideas on how to fundraise and raise awareness!
Fundraising ideas for corporations:
- Payroll giving: Contact Feeding South Florida to learn about way to enroll a company in a program to ensure that colleagues have the ability donate a portion of their paycheck on a weekly, monthly or quarterly basis.
- Matching program: Companies that have a matching gifts program can easily double amounts individuals raise.
- Dress-Down Day: Ask HR departments if they can host a “Casual for a Cause” day at the office. Encourage colleagues to donate to a team in exchange for the opportunity to dress down at work.
Holiday Cards: Help raise awareness about the issue of hunger in South Florida by sending friends and family a bright and colorful Feeding South Florida holiday card. Loved ones will know that a gift has been made in their honor. Each pack comes with three designs, either two of each kind, or four of each kind, depending on whether the six-pack or 12-pack is ordered. With every pack of cards purchased, Feeding South Florida can provide either 150 or 300 meals. All cards come with envelopes and shipping nor postage is included in the cost. To order, visit feedingsouthflorida.org.
Set the Holiday Table Food Drive: Contact Feeding South Florida to register a food drive. The food drive representative will walk food drive leaders through the online registration at www.feedingsouthflorida.org/donate-food.
Social Media Efforts: Follow Feeding South Florida and tag the organization @FeedingSFL, and use the hashtags #FSFendshunger #FSFSetTheHolidayTable.
For more information about volunteering at Feeding South Florida, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your contact information or visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org. More information about how to participate in the “Set the Holiday Table” campaign is located at www.feedingsouthflorida.org.