During Hunger Action Month and Throughout the Year, South Florida Residents Can Take Action to Help 784,000 Food Insecure Individuals in South Florida
Pembroke Park, Fla. – Aug. 09, 2016 – In September, Feeding South Florida®, the Feeding America® food bank with the largest service area in the state, is taking part in Feeding America’s nationwide initiative, Hunger Action Month (HAM), designed to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America. Throughout the month, Feeding South Florida will present a variety of events and activities to encourage South Florida residents to get involved in hunger relief efforts.
Every day, 784,110 individuals in South Florida in need of food assistance, including 264,280 children, question where their next meal will come from. Feeding South Florida serves Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties.
“During the month of September and every day of the year, there are many actions that members of the South Florida community can take to end hunger,” said Paco Vélez, CEO of Feeding South Florida. “Those struggling to put food on the table are our neighbors who live right in our own communities. During Hunger Action Month, we are asking the community to take action and help us set the table for our neighbors struggling to make ends meet.
“Currently, our biggest need is funding,” he continued. “While we offer volunteer and food drive opportunities, for every $1 donated to Feeding South Florida, we can provide six meals. With more than 98 percent of all donations put back into the community, and a 4-star Charity Navigator rating for transparency and fiscal soundness, donors can feel good about making a monetary gift. Contributing has never been easier with online donations and crowdfunding sites. For Hunger Action Month, Feeding South Florida has set up a ‘virtual food drive’ so anyone can help — no donation is too small!”
In addition to FUNdraising efforts, with the support of key strategic corporate partners and elected officials, South Florida residents will have the opportunity to participate in community events, volunteer efforts, food drives, orange dress down days and more to support hunger relief. Feeding South Florida’s local calendar will provide individuals with exciting ways (30 Ways in 30 Days) to participate in community efforts to end hunger throughout September. For more information about how to get involved, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org or call 954.518.1818.
- Feeding America’s National Light Up Hunger, during which landmark buildings “Light Up Orange” (the color of hunger awareness) on Sept. 8, Go Orange! Day, and through the end of September. Buildings “Lighting Up Orange” are the fountain at The Breakers Palm Beach (One South County Road, Palm Beach, 33480); Bank of America Building (401 E Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, 33301); and the Miami Tower (100 SE 2nd St., Miami, 33131).
- Food Bank Brews: Wednesday, Aug. 31, starting at 6 p.m. Kick off Hunger Action Month with Feeding South Florida at Concrete Beach Brewery in Wynwood. Guests are encouraged to bring a non-perishable food item to get their first drink for only $2. Raffle included, with proceeds benefiting Feeding South Florida (one ticket for $5, three for $10). Watch local artist Jenny Perez (http://new.jennyperez.com/) create a special piece of art just for Hunger Action Month. Purchase any of the art on display and a portion of the proceeds will benefit FSF. Concrete Beach Brewery, 325 NW 24th St, Miami, FL 33127.
- Hunger Action Day/National Go Orange! Day: Thursday, Sept. 8. Residents and media are encouraged to wear orange, go orange digitally or “do anything” orange. Those who don’t have anything orange can pre-order Feeding South Florida’s Hunger Action Month shirts available at feedingsouthflorida.org.
- 24 Hour Sort-A-Thon (Main Warehouse): Friday, Sept. 9, beginning at 1 p.m.–Saturday, Sept. 10, ending at 1 p.m. Help Feeding South Florida break last year’s record. Volunteers will sort donated food during eight shifts of three hours each. 100 volunteers maximum per shift; 800 volunteers total. To register, visit feedingsouthfloridaforce.com. Please register prior to Sept. 7, 2016. Spaces are filling up fast! Sponsorships available; please call 954.518.1825. Feeding South Florida main warehouse, 2501 SW 32 Terrace, Pembroke Park, 33023.
- 12 Hour Sort-A-Thon (Feeding Palm Beach County® Warehouse): Saturday, Sept. 10, 8 a.m.–8 p.m. Volunteers will sort donated food during four shifts of three hours each. 50 volunteers maximum per shift; 200 volunteers total. To register, visit feedingsouthfloridaforce.com. Please register prior to Sept. 8, 2016. Spaces are filling up fast! Sponsorships available; please call 954.518.1825. Feeding Palm Beach County warehouse, 4925 Park Ridge Boulevard, Boynton Beach, 33426.
- Mustache Monday: Monday, Sept. 12. Help Feeding South Florida raise awareness of the issue of hunger by taking a picture of yourself in an orange mustache. Tag Feeding South Florida on social media @feedingsfl, and use #FSFgoesorange #MustacheMonday #HungerAction. Get social — Facebook, Twitter, IG.
- SNAP Challenge: Monday, Sept. 12–Friday, Sept. 16. Could you eat all your meals for just $4.50 a day? Get a sense of what life is like for millions of low-income, food insecure Americans. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to get your SNAP Challenge toolkit and get started.
- Hyde Beach presents Taste: Celebrity Chef Edition: Thursday, Sept. 22, 8–11 p.m. A celebrity chef-driven culinary experience with some of the culinary world’s hottest names, in support of Hunger Action Month. Guests will participate in a tasting unlike any other as Hyde Beach and SLS South Beach transform their cabanas into restaurant pop-ups, with a unique after party that will make any foodie jealous. For more information, visit celebritytaste.com. 1701 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33139.
- Outrun Hunger Palm Beach County 5K: Saturday, Sept. 24, starting at 7:30 a.m. Walk or run to raise funds to help end hunger in Palm Beach County and raise awareness of the issue of food insecurity. Okeeheelee Park, 7715 Forest Hill Blvd., West Palm Beach, FL 33413. For more information and to register, visit feedingsouthflorida.org/event/outrun-hunger-palm-beach-county-5k-4/
- Cocktails for Humanity, benefiting Feeding South Florida: Saturday, Sept. 24, 6–11 p.m. Cocktails for Humanity, a nonprofit that organizes a group of volunteers serving drinks for a good cause, operates at the co-working space General Provision during Fort Lauderdale’s monthly FAT Village Artwalk. Volunteers serve craft cocktails, beer, and wine. Every dollar made, even the tips, goes to charity. 525 NW 1st Ave., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301. feedingsouthflorida.org/event/cocktails-for-humanity/
- A Taste of the Community (Tamarac): Thursday, Sept. 29, 7–10:30 p.m. Enjoy delicious food, wine tasting, art galleries and fabulous raffle baskets from local businesses. Business leaders of Broward County and surrounding counties will be in attendance. A portion of proceeds will go to Feeding South Florida. $20 per person until Sept. 15; $25 after Sept. 15. Woodlands Country Club, 4600 Woodlands Blvd., Tamarac, FL 33319. feedingsouthflorida.org/event/a-taste-of-the-community/
- Atlas Party Rental Tabletop Design Competition: Entire month of September. Individuals are encouraged to put together a table setting with orange elements, and post a photo on an album on www.facebook.com/atlaspartyrentalinc, tagging @FeedingSFL and using the hashtags #HungerActionMonth #FSFgoesorange
- Feeding South Florida’s website provides volunteer opportunities and interactive registration, making it easier for anyone to support Feeding South Florida.
Corporate Volunteer Groups
Corporations/organizations will hold food drives, dress down days and volunteer for Feeding South Florida in September in support of Hunger Action Month. Members of the corporations/organizations are encouraged to wear orange on their respective volunteer days. Included in those holding food drives are Atlas Party Rental efforts, Green Monkey Yoga, Florida Restaurant & Lodging Association Broward Chapter, Aventura Mall (Turnberry Media), and more.
For more information about how Feeding South Florida is participating in Hunger Action Month and how to be a part of the effort to end hunger in South Florida, visit www.feedingsouthflorida.org/hunger-action-month-2016.