Feeding Palm Beach County
Celebrating its 35th Anniversary of service to Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties, Feeding South Florida® is pleased to announce the opening of its new Palm Beach County branch, known as Feeding Palm Beach County®.
For the past 25 years, since 1991, Feeding South Florida has occupied the former Cheney Brothers, Inc. facility off Claremore Drive in Palm Beach County. Due to the growing needs of the community, and Feeding South Florida’s increased efforts to end hunger throughout South Florida, the need for a new facility was ever apparent.
Nearly doubling its output of food from five million meals (6 million pounds) in 2012, to more than 9.1 million meals (11 million pounds) in 2015, in Palm Beach County alone, Feeding South Florida not only needed a space that could handle an increased volume of food and grocery products, but also a space that would provide a resource center and innovative programming for our partner agencies and families we serve.
Conveniently located off I-95 and Gateway Boulevard, across from the Publix Distribution Center, the branch is located at 4925 Park Ridge Boulevard, Boynton Beach, FL 33426. The facility itself is 25,344 sq. ft. and has an additional two acres of land for future expansion to triple its size.
- Installation of a new cooler/freezer, approximately 3,000 sq. ft. will enable us to store more than 200 pallets under air. That means more fresh produce, lean protein, and dairy for our families struggling to make ends meet.
- Ability to install three-tier racking for optimal utilization of space and implementation of inventory best practices to ensure first in, first out (FIFO).
- Two covered bay doors with space for tractor/trailers.
- Ten volunteer shifts per week are available for individuals and groups to help sort food and grocery items to ensure its safe for distribution. From Tuesday-Saturday, volunteer shifts take place twice a day from 8:30AM-11:30AM and from 1:30PM-4:30PM.
- Community groups can host team-building activities and off-site retreats in a room complete with Wi-Fi, projector, tables, chairs, and computers.
The Community Kitchen is a commercial production kitchen that is designed to serve five purposes:
- Production Kitchen: Provide nutritious and healthy meals for summer breakfast and lunch when school is not in session, after school meals, and support other meal-delivery programming for older adults.
- Culinary Training: Serve as a culinary training program with job placement upon graduation with our hospitality and retail partners.
- Infrastructure: Serve as an incubator for graduates of the culinary training program to start their own catering business by providing access to a commercial kitchen.
- Social Enterprise: Catering services that employ graduates of the culinary training program with profits reinvested in the training program.
- Classes: Provide cooking classes for families.
As part of its mission to end hunger in South Florida, Feeding Palm Beach County will go beyond food distribution and begin to break the cycle of hunger and poverty with a Life Skills Center and Community Kitchen™ known as “The Kitchen Table”.
The Kitchen Table provides a variety of best practice services in one place for those experiencing food insecurity and/or lack of nutrition. One fundamental element in the philosophy of this effort is that it continues to evolve and promote self-sufficiency through education.
Kitchen Table programming includes:
- Client Choice Pantry
- Nutrition Education
- Financial Literacy
- Family Dining
- Benefits Assistance (SNAP, TANF, Florida KidCare)
- Computer Skills Training