HUNGER ACTION MONTH 2018
HELP US SET THE TABLE
START A FOOD DRIVE
Collect food for our families struggling to set the table, and donate to Feeding South Florida at the end of the month. Use orange containers as collection bins! Register to receive a Food + Fund Drive Toolkit.
WHAT IS HUNGER ACTION MONTH & WHY GO ORANGE?
As part of a nationwide initiative created by Feeding America®, Hunger Action Month takes place throughout September and is designed to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America.In South Florida, 706,130 individuals don’t know from where they will get their next meal. More than 240,000 of those individuals are children and nearly 110,000 are older adults.
Last year, throughout Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties, several buildings including, among others, The Breakers, Freedom Tower, and Bank of America all participated in Go Orange Day by turning their lights orange. Dozens of groups held food + fund drives and participated in volunteer days; and several restaurants held happy hours, dinners and created signature drinks for Feeding South Florida!
In 2017, more buildings, landmarks and people than ever before turned their lights orange, wore orange, or turned their social media pages and websites orange in support of Hunger Action Month.
This year, we celebrate Hunger Action Day, a.k.a. “GO ORANGE DAY,” on Thursday, September 13th and bring awareness to the issue of hunger in our community throughout September!
Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to participate in a month-long movement that has a real and lasting impact on the mission to end hunger in South Florida!
- Sept. 7: TGIFamily Fridays at CityPlace in West Palm Beach from 5:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. Food + Fun(d) Kickoff event! Click here for more info.
- Sept. 7 – 8: Hunger Action Month 24 Hour Sort-A-Thon. Register here.
- Sept. 8: Grand opening of Dunkin’ Donuts at 850 Ives Dairy Road, Miami, with $1 coffee donation to FSF
- Sept. 13: GO ORANGE! Hunger Action Day (Buildings light up orange, wear orange, host a fundraiser, and more!)
- Sept. 13: Texas Roadhouse Miramar 10% donation night to FSF
- Sept. 13: Concrete Beach Brewery Hunger Action Night with $1 donation to FSF
- Sept. 22: 3rd Annual Outrun Hunger PBC 5K at Okeeheelee Park. Registration is just $25 so register here!
- Sept. 22: Concrete Beach Brewery’s 4th Annual Blocktoberfest, with $1 proceeds benefiting FSF
- Sept. 26: Broward County Food Insecurity Summit, in partnership with Humana, at the Signature Grand in Davie. Register here.
FUN INITIATIVES + ACTIVITIES
- Sept. 10: Mustache Monday
- Sept. 17-21: SNAP Challenge
- Sept. 21: Furry Friend Friday
- All month: City Place Food + Fun(d) Campaign with 8 participating restaurants donating $1 from a top-selling menu item. Click here for more information.
To crate your Hunger Action Month activity, contact our Community Engagement Coordinator, Alana Wortsman, at email@example.com or 954.518.1835 x 1835.