START A FOOD DRIVE
Collect food for our families struggling to set the table, and donate to Feeding South Florida at the end of the month. Use orange containers as collection bins!
More than 710,300 people in South Florida are food insecure – meaning, they don’t know from where they will get their next meal. This September, GO ORANGE to raise awareness about this critical issue. As individuals, businesses and government, we all have a role to play in getting more food to those who need it, as well as breaking the cycle of hunger and poverty.
WHAT IS HUNGER ACTION MONTH & WHY GO ORANGE?
As part of a nationwide initiative created by Feeding America®, Hunger Action Month takes place throughout September and is designed to raise awareness about the issue of hunger in America.
In South Florida, 710,370 individuals don’t know from where they will get their next meal. More than 240,000 of those individuals are children and nearly 130,000 are older adults.
Last year, throughout Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade, and Monroe Counties, several buildings including, among others, The Breakers, Freedom Tower, and Bank of America all participated in Go Orange Day by turning their lights orange. Dozens of groups held food + fund drives and participated in volunteer days; and several restaurants held happy hours, dinners and created signature drinks for Feeding South Florida!
In 2016, more buildings, landmarks and people than ever before turned their lights orange, wore orange, or turned their social media pages and websites orange in support of Hunger Action Month.
This year, we celebrate Hunger Action Day, a.k.a. “GO ORANGE DAY,” on Thursday, September 14th and bring awareness to the issue of hunger in our community throughout September!
Hunger Action Month is your opportunity to participate in a month-long movement that has a real and lasting impact on the mission to end hunger in South Florida!
- Sept. 1: Miami Studio Arts + Miami Marlins’ Hunger Action Month Kick-off “Pep Rally”
- Sept. 2: “Sinatra Saturday” Concert featuring Jill and Rich Switzer of Legends Radio, 100.3 FM
- Sept. 8 – 9: Hunger Action Month 24 Hour Sort-A-Thon
- Sept. 14: Hunger Action Day
- Sept. 14: The Frank Pembroke Pines’ “Feed Your Soul” Launch Event
- Sept. 23: Concrete Beach Brewery’s 3rd Annual Blocktoberfest
SEPT. 14 | BUILDINGS “LIGHT UP ORANGE”
- The Breakers Palm Beach
- Bank of America Building (Fort Lauderdale)
- The Miami Tower
- The Freedom Tower
- The InterContinental Miami
- Design Center of the Americas
- Concrete Beach Brewery (Wynwood)
- The Ritz-Carlton (Fort Lauderdale)
FOOD + FUND DRIVES
- All month: Texas Roadhouse (Boynton) – Donate 3 items receive 10% off coupon + donate $5 and receive a free appetizer coupon for your next visit
- Sept. 15-24: CB2 – Donate 5 cans receive 15% off coupon
- Sept. 22: Harbourside Place – Donate one canned good and $1 during “Movies on the Waterfront”
To get started, contact our Community Engagement Coordinator, Alana Wortsman, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 954.518.1835 x 1835.